Now, I know you have a tight schedule, I do too, and I also know you want to have your friends and family close to you, I do too, but how can you make these two things work together?
A dinner party sounds awesome, doesn’t it? Yeah, but all that cooking, I don’t have time for all of that! Well, think again! Today’s recipe is a fantastic example of straight forward cooking, with minimum effort, but amazing results.
It’s the kind of recipe that makes you want to come back in the kitchen to cook some more, because you get to play with the simplest and honest ingredients, like chicken, tomatoes and mushrooms, because you don’t have to stay near the stove like a mother near her baby and because if you forget to put one of the ingredients in it will still taste awesome.
And it doesn’t need a fancy side dish either. It actually works great with fluffy mash potatoes and a light salad.
So, the only thing I can say to you right now is, on your way back from work, grab what you need from the grocery store plus a bottle of red wine and call everybody over for a casual dinner party.
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- 150g of mushrooms, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven at 200°C/392°F. Massage the chicken drumsticks with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and place them in an oven proof dish. Get the dish in the oven and leave it there for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat up the remaining olive oil in a non-stick pan. Throw in the onion and the rosemary and saute them for 5 minutes until the onion gets soft. Add the tomatoes, the sugar and the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Mix everything together and leave it on the fire for a couple of minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/356°F. Pour the tomato sauce on top of the chicken. Pour a glass of hot water in as well, until the chicken is covered. Place the dish back in the oven. After 20 minutes turn the drumsticks on the other side. After another 20 minutes turn the drumsticks again and add the mushrooms. Leave everything in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- By now the chicken should be soft and tender. Serve with mash potatoes, pasta or bread toast.