I have a thing for healthy food lately. I don’t know why, but my body says I need to eat healthier and work out more. I’m not going to start a weird and painful diet that’s for sure, but I am going to try to avoid the fats and start eating more veggies.
And what better way to begin this journey than with Brussels sprouts? I’ve always liked the way these little guys look, but never had the chance of eating one, so I decided it was about time I try them out. Unfortunately I only found frozen ones at the store, yuck! If you don’t know it, I’m not really a big fan of frozen food, unless of course we’re talking about ice cream.
Anyway, back to the Brussels sprouts. They taste healthy! When I took a bite out of them I couldn’t find something to compare them with, they where in a sense unique. A powerful rich taste that caught me off guard. I wasn’t expecting such intense flavor from a veggie. If you haven’t eaten one don’t expect to like it from the start. It gave me mixed signals at first, I couldn’t figure out if I like it or not. I think it’s the kind of food you need to eat more than once to see how it goes, just like with a song you hear once and you’re not really sure if it fits your tastes.
Try them, retry them and retry them some more. That’s my advice! You’ll learn to love them in time and they will love you back with their healthiness.
- 3 or 4 large potatoes
- handful of Brussels sprouts
- 100 g of pancetta or bacon
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat your oven at 220ºC / 428ºF. Cut the potatoes into 2 cm cubes and slice the pancetta. Bring a pot of water to a boil and place the potatoes in. Cook them for about 7 minutes and then drain them.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan and fry the potatoes for about 5 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts and the pancetta, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and place everything in an oven proof dish.
- Place the dish in the oven and leave it there for 30 minutes, until the pancetta turns crispy and the sprouts soften up.
Notice: Trying to get property 'nodeValue' of non-object in /home/simplyum/public_html/wp-content/plugins/easyrecipe/lib/EasyRecipeDocument.php on line 94