Summer squash. This is basically the theme today, and when I say summer, I really mean summer. It is so damn hot right now, I can’t even describe the feeling. It is pure madness, but luckily, I’ve found refuge in a bar where they have the awesomest ice coffee in town and good quality music to go along. So I won’t be complaining any more!
Let’s talk a bit about the zucchini rolls. Use a peeler to slice the squash, it will make your life a lot easier. I didn’t have one at hand, so you can imagine the battle I had to endure. If you manage to slice them thin enough, and of course if you like the taste you can eat the zucchini raw. I prefer them cooked on a grill because I love the flavor the grill gives to food.
Also, the original recipe is made with ricotta cheese, but unfortunately I couldn’t find any, so a little improvisation had to be made. And since I love mozzarella and I had some at home, this is what came out. Little bite-size pieces of heaven ready to be devoured by you and your guests. Easy and fast, in the spirit of Simply yum.
Before I go. If you have a blog or you want to make one, I have made a quick and easy tutorial on how to add a Pinterest button for your images. It’s a great tool for you as a blogger and also for your readers. What do you think? Would you add it to your blog? Do you think it helps or is it too intrusive?
- one zucchini, thinly sliced
- 200g of mazzarella cheese
- fresly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- Heat up a grill and spray it with just a bit of oil. Lay the zucchini slices on the grill and cook them for one to two minutes on each side. Depending on your grill it could take less. Be careful not to burn them too much.
- When they are done lay them on a plate or on a cutting board and season them. Drizzle a bit of olive oil and let them rest for a couple of minutes.
- In the meantime cut the mozzarella into bite size pieces. Place each mozzarella piece on the end of a zucchini slice and roll.
- Place the rolls on a plate and drizzle with vinegar.